Sunday 3 February 2019

January Wrap Up 2019


PART 1

PART 2



Books read in January

1. "City of Heavenly Fire" by Cassandra Clare
2. "The Outsiders" by S.E. Hinton
3. "En olustig början" ("The Bad Beginning") by Lemony Snicket
4. "Dream On" by Kerstin Gier
5. "Fruset blod" ("Frostbite") by Richelle Mead
6. "Shadow Kiss" by Richelle Mead
7. "Löftet" ("Blood Promise") by Richelle Mead
8. "Giftet" ("Poison Study") by Maria V. Snyder
9. "Magin" ("Magic Study") by Maria V. Snyder
10. "Carry On" by Rainbow Rowell

Star of January
The best book I read this month is without a doubt "Poison Study" by Maria V. Snyder, although in it's Swedish translation, "Giftet". This book had so much to offer; a medieval inspired world, deep characters, interesting politics, magic, a gripping romance, and an astounding premise. I am so amazed at what this single first book managed to perform. I, of course, gave it a full 5/5 star rating. I gave the second book, "Magin" ("Magic Study" in English) 5/5 stars as well.

Biggest disappointment of January
It's no secret that I thought "City of Heavenly Fire" was a bit of a flop. As the final book of "The Mortal Instruments" series, I'd expected more than a 500 page drag followed by 200 pages of anticlimax. It had it's good parts as well, but overall I just wasn't impressed.

Surprise of January
Two books share this spot; "The Outsiders" by S.E. Hinton and "Shadow Kiss" by Richelle Mead. I didn't expect "The Outsiders" to be what it actually ended up being, and I was very pleasantly surprised. The same goes for "Shadow Kiss" by Richelle Mead. Being the third book in the "Vampire Academy" series, it really brought the plot and characters to another level; something I hadn't expected it to do. 

Series started

1. "Syskonen Baudelaires olycksaliga liv" ("A Series of Unfortunate Events") by Lemony Snicket
2. "Poison Study" by Maria V. Snyder
3. "Simon Snow" by Rainbow Rowell

Series finished

1. "The Mortal Instruments" by Cassandra Clare

Oldest on the shelf
I'd guess "Giftet" ("Poison Study") by Maria V. Snyder has been living on my shelves, unread, for the most years. However, "Fruset blod" ("Frostbite") by Richelle Mead has also been hanging around for a while.

Overall thoughts
I had a good reading month! It's the start of 2019 and I'm working towards my goal of reading 30+ books this year. I'm happy that I gave the "Vampire Academy" series a second shot, because I've thoroughly enjoyed reading most of the remaining books this month.
Might do a video for this? We'll see if I get the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment