Saturday 18 April 2020

Book reviews: Our Man in Havana | The Crimes of Grindelwald: The Original Screenplay | Malamander

Our Man In HavanaTitle: Our Man in Havana
Author: Graham Greene
Original title: Our Man in Havana

First published: 1958
Genre: Classic, Mystery
Series: --
Publisher: Vintage Classics
Format: Paperback
Pages: 225
Finished: 16/04/2020
Summary: 
Mr. Wormold, vacuum cleaner salesman in a city of powercuts, is, as always, short of money. His daughter, sixteen, followed everywhere by wolf whistles, is spending his money with a skill that amazes him, so when a mysterious Englishman offers him an extra income he's tempted. All he has to do is run agents, file reports: spy. But his fake reports have an alarming tendency to come true, and the web of lies he weaves around him starts to get more and more tangled.

My thoughts: This is the first book I read for the Stay at Home Reading Rush, following the prompt to read a book that would make me smile. I'm glad to say that it managed to make me smile a little! One of the strong suits of this novel is without doubt the witty and quick dialogue, of which there is a lot. Mr. Wormold (a brilliant name) is a very confused man, but he's always doing his best, and that made me really like him a lot. He is introduced as a very average man who is easy to look past, and who was few friends and a staggering relationship to his daughter. All of this reminds me of "Stoner" by John Williams, one of my favourite books of all time that I just cannot shut up about.
However, "Our Man in Havana" is quite different from "Stoner". In fact, the similarities end there. This book is much more lighthearted and breezy to get through. I understand why it's described as a humorous book. Unfortunately I liked the first 100 pages more than the rest of the story. I think I would have liked it to stay more focused on how forgettable Mr, Wormold felt that he was and how that affected him in life. The way things went, I felt I missed out on how emotional things had the potential to be. And though I liked some characters a fair deal, there were several others that I cared very little for. There was also an adult man who was uncomfortably interested in Mr. Wormold's 16-17 year old daughter. (Spoiler alert, highlight white text to read: he thought it appropriate to marry her and that the best time of life to bear child was at the age of 17. no thank you, disgusting creep. luckily, everyone else in the book seemed to agree with me). Nevertheless, I believe this novel was never intended to be the moody but charming story I wished it would have been. And though it lacked moodiness, it did try as best as it could to charm me. It kind of worked!

I did highlight some quotes that I liked (there were a few more, but they'd spoil the plot):
"You lost the remembrance of pain by inflicting it."
"Please would you mind telling me how they are going to murder me? You see, it interests me personally."

Rating: 3,75/5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

39337278. sy475
Title: The Crimes of Grindelwald: The Original Screenplay
Author: J.K. Rowling
Original title: 
The Crimes of Grindelwald
First published: 2018
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Fantastic Beasts Screenplays #2
Publisher: Little, Brown
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 272
Finished: 17/04/2020

Summary: Spoiler alert! The powerful Dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald was captured in New York with the help of Newt Scamander. But, making good on his threat, Grindelwald escapes custody and sets about gathering followers, most unsuspecting of his true agenda: to raise pure-blood wizards up to rule over all non-magical beings.
In an effort to thwart Grindelwald’s plans, Albus Dumbledore enlists Newt, his former Hogwarts student, who agrees to help once again, unaware of the dangers that lie ahead. Lines are drawn as love and loyalty are tested, even among the truest friends and family, in an increasingly divided wizarding world.

My thoughts: This is the second book I read for the Stay at Home Reading Rush, this time for the prompt of reading a book set somewhere I wish I could go. I of course, wish I could visit the wizarding world.
Unfortunately, this was not for me. I was impressed the first screenplay (and movie), which is something I cannot say about this second instalment. I was uninterested in the conflicts, I could not understand Queenie at all, I don't care for the romance between Newt and Tina, and we didn't even get to see that much of the beasts. Also, "The Crimes of Grindelwald"? More like "Grindelwald sits in a room and doesn't do much, basically just talks". Well, I guess it's plain enough now that I was not a fan.
Nevertheless, I like Newt and Jacob quite and bit, and some of the other characters as well. I do love Newt's beasts, too. And the book is beautiful for the illustrations inside. These are kind of redeeming factors.

Rating: 3/5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

45152276. sy475
Title: Malamander
Author: Thomas Taylor
Original title: Malamander

First published: 2019
Genre: Fantasy, Mystery, Middle grade
Series: Malamander #1
Publisher: Walker Books
Format: Paperback
Pages: 302
Finished: 18/04/2020

Summary: Herbert Lemon, Lost-and-Founder at the Grand Nautilus Hotel, knows that returning lost things to their rightful owners is not easy – especially when the lost thing is not a thing at all, but a girl. No one knows what happened to Violet Parma’s parents twelve years ago, and when she engages Herbie to help her find them, the pair discover that their disappearance might have something to do with the legendary sea-monster, the Malamander. Eerie-on-Sea has always been a mysteriously chilling place, where strange stories seem to wash up. And it just got stranger...

My thoughts: This is the third book I read for the Stay at Home Reading Rush, now following the prompt of reading a book with a house on the cover.
I think this might be the best book I read during this Reading Rush. "Malamander" is cute, adventurous, mysterious, and all around a delightful read. Herbert has an incredibly precious personality. He's so genuine and good and kind. I love him. I wasn't all-the-way gripped by the plot itself, but it was still interesting enough to keep me going. I was pleasantly surprised that I like it as much as I do seeing as middle grade was never my strongest cup of tea. But this is really cute! I definitely want to continue reading the series once the second book comes out this year. I want to know more about Herbert!

Rating: 4,25/5

2 comments: