Thursday 10 October 2019

Book Reviews: The Raven King | Den sorgsna sjön | Firefight

25394092. sy475 Title: The Raven King
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Original title: The Raven King

First published: 2016
Genre: Fantasy, YA
Series: The Raven Cycle #4
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Format: Paperback
Pages: 438
Finished: 26/09/2019

Summary: Spoiler alert! For years, Gansey has been on a quest to find a lost king. One by one, he's drawn others into his mission: Ronan, who steals from dreams; Adam, whose life is no longer his own; Noah, whose life is no longer a life; and Blue, who loves Gansey … and is certain she is destined to kill him.

My thoughts: Going into “The Raven King”, I’d read the previous two books in the series within the past two weeks and gave them both over 4/5 stars. I read “The Raven Boys” years ago, but had fond memories of it. So what expectations did I bring with me when I picked up this fourth and final installment in the series? Well, what I liked most about the series so far were the characters; we follow a cast of four main character (Gansey, Blue, Ronan, and Adam) whom we’ve gotten to know on a deeper level in the previous books. The series focuses a lot on character development and relationship development, which I appreciate and was one of my favourite parts of the series so far. I especially liked Ronan’s perspective. Another thing I enjoy about the series is Maggie Stiefvater’s writing. I found that I at several points felt urged to highlight or take notes on certain quotes in the story.

In “The Raven King”, the writing style is one thing that didn’t let me down, though at times it became a bit sappy. No, what actually let me down in this novel was the abandonment of character closeness. The book is over 400 pages, but most of it is spent on kinda pointless plot detours that don’t really lead anywhere and just builds frustration for the reader. I’d wished to see more of several characters, like Noah and other spoilery folks. Instead, a handful of new characters are introduced, neither for which I can really understand the purpose. Yes, they drive the plot, but add nothing to what made me like the books in the first place. And truly, I didn’t care much for the plot at any point. It’s not what I came here for, and it’s not a plot that in itself had me hooked. Had it not been for the characters, I’d have never read further than the second book. And so it seems like a bleak finish to the series when what I got was 400+ pages of the thing I didn’t come to the party for.
Spoiler thoughts (highlight white text to read spoilers): So… Blue turned out to be a tree… I think it was at the moment of this reveal that I realized I really didn’t like “The Raven King”. And not only because Blue’s silly father stepped out of a tree to tell her she is also a tree, but also because of that not-so-amazing RoboBee of Henry’s and other minor stupid things that had me disappointed. The ending was anticlimactic and rushed, and the rest of the book did poor work of building up to it. We’re left with some loose ends that open up for sequels, but I don’t think I’ll consider reading those. Even though Ronan is my favourite character.

Rating: 3,25/5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Image result for den sorgsna sjön lemony snicketTitle: Den sorgsna sjön (The Sorrowful Lake)
Author: Lemony Snicket
Original title: The Wide Window

First published: 2000
Genre: Middle grade, fantasy
Series: A Series of Unfortunate Events #3
Publisher: Richters
Format: Hardback
Pages: 224
Finished: 30/09/2019

Summary: Spoiler alert! Dear Reader,
If you have not read anything about the Baudelaire orphans, then before you read even one more sentence, you should know this: Violet, Klaus, and Sunny are kindhearted and quick-witted; but their lives, I am sorry to say, are filled with bad luck and misery. All of the stories about these three children are unhappy and wretched, and this one may be the worst of them all. If you haven't got the stomach for a story that includes a hurricane, a signalling device, hungry leeches, cold cucumber soup, a horrible villain, and a doll named Pretty Penny, then this book will probably fill you with despair. I will continue to record these tragic tales, for that is what I do. You, however, should decide for yourself whether you can possibly endure this miserable story.
With all due respect,
Lemony Snicket

My thoughts: The series continues with this third instalment! I have bad news, however. I think I'm starting to feel done with the series. Yes, I know, there are 10 more books to go, and they are pretty fast reads, but I just don't see myself getting to the next book anytime soon. It's a good series, and I would probably have appreciated it a lot at the age of 9 or 10. However, this is not the series for me right now. These would be great to read out loud to someone younger in age; they're quirky, exciting, educational, and original. My problems are simple; I've seen the Netflix show and know everything that will happen, and the books are targeted at an audience where I don't belong anymore. This isn't meant to sound negative, because I don't dislike these books. They just don't do much for me.

Rating: 2,75/5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Image result for firefight brandon sanderson coverTitle: Firefight
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Original title: Firefight

First published: 2015
Genre: Sci-fi, YA, Dystopian
Series: The Reckoners #2
Publisher: Gollancz
Format: Paperback
Pages: 416
Finished: 09/10/2019

Summary: Spoiler alert! Babylon Restored, formerly Manhattan, may give David answers. Ruled by the mysterious High Epic, Regalia, David is sure Babylon Restored will lead him to what he needs to find. And while entering another city oppressed by a High Epic despot is a gamble, David's willing to risk it. Because killing Steelheart left a hole in David's heart. A hole where his thirst for vengeance once lived. Somehow, he filled that hole with another Epic—Firefight. And he's willing to go on a quest darker, and more dangerous even, than the fight against Steelheart to find her, and to get his answers.

My thoughts: I’ve been eager to grab another Brandon Sanderson novel ever since I read "Steelheart" two years back. Despite my eagerness, I have yet to begin any other series by him, but I can finally say that I’m now two books into the "The Reckoners" trilogy. This series offers a ton of action that would look super cool on a screen. Of course it works in written form as well! I think the idea of a world taken over by supervillains is imaginative and so exciting to follow. Our main character, David, is witty and charming. His characteristic weird similes and metaphors are a nice touch to an otherwise rather serious story of battle, science fiction, and betrayal. I think what I wish this particular book had more of are “oh shit” moments to make me gasp and gawk. I want this series to just sink its claws into my brain so I can only think about the story all day. Unfortunately, I’m not feeling quite that so far in the series, which is why this doesn’t get a higher score than 4,25/5. I’m hoping for a grand finale in the next book, “Calamity”, which I’ll be picking up immediately after this one.

Rating: 4,25/5

No comments:

Post a Comment