Thursday 21 November 2019

September Book Haul, 2019

Video in Swedish


Books bought in September


1. "The Fifth Season" by N.K. Jemisin

2. "This Is How You Lose the Time War" by Amal El-Mohtar & Max Gladstone
3. "The Raven King" by Maggie Stiefvater
4. "Firefight" by Brandon Sanderson
5. "The Blade Itself" by Joe Abercrombie
6. "Butcher's Crossing" by John Williams
7. "Dead Man's Blues" by Ray Celestine
8. "Evelyn Hugos sju äkta män" ("The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo") by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Main source of books

4 from Adlibris, 2 from Book Depository, 3 from secondhand.

Do I reasonably have space for these new books in my room?

YES

Best find

Probably "The Blade Itself" and "Butcher's Crossing". Found them both on secondhand and I look forward to reading them both!

Most expensive book
I'd say "The Raven King" was most costly. I paid 101SEK for it, and for such a price for a paperback, it sure doesn't feel like it's good quality. The texture is all plastic and shiny (in a cheap way) and it's so stiff that I couldn't avoid breaking the spine when I read it.

Best bargain

I actually feel like four of the new books I ordered from Book Depository and Adlibris were pretty good bargains. "This is How You Lose the Time War" and "The Fifth Season" were both on sale on Book Depository along with a bunch of other best sellers, so I got them both for about 75SEK each, which I think is a decent price for a paperback nowadays. I also must mention "Evelyn Hugos sju äkta män", which in Swedish paperback cost 55SEK. That one was from Adlibris. I am super stoked to read ALL of these books and was so happy to find them for relatively good prices online.

Most excited to read

Omgggg there are several here that I'm just SO stoked for! I think the ones I'll pick up the soonest are "Firefight", "Evelyn Hugos sju äkta män", and "This is How You Lose the Time War", mostly because I think those are all books I can fly through quickly. I've already read "The Raven King" at this point, but I wasn't as excited about it as with some of the rest.

Most likely never to be read

Well... I did an oopsie. I found "Dead Man's Blues" in a secondhand store and fell in love with the cover. The plot also seemed very promising, so I bought it. I didn't understand at all that it was the second book in a series... So in order to ever get to reading it, I'll have to get my hands on the first book somehow. We'll see if I really want to read "Dead Man's Blues" enough to make the effort.

Books I (kind of) regret not buying

There are a few books that were 10% off on Book Depository that I really wanted to get... To mention a few, there were "The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet" by Becky Chambers and "Gentleman Jack" by Angela Steidele.

New series


1. "The Broken Earth" by N.K. Jemisin

2. "The First Law" by Joe Abercrombie
3. "City Blues Quartet" by Ray Celestine

Total amount of books

393+8=401. Finally over 400!

Overall thoughts

A 'lagom' amount of books to have bought in a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment