Friday 3 January 2020

10 MUST READS for 2020

Have you set up any reading goals for 2020 yet? Perhaps you're actually avoiding goals and the pressure they put upon you as a reader, and thereby hindering your experience of the books you read... Well, I decided to set some goals for myself either way, and one major of those is to read more chunky books with a minimum of 400 pages each. What I really hope to achieve is to get through some of the thickest books on my shelves that I'm excited about, but also intimidated by. So here are some chunky books that I hope to conquer in 2020 (sorted from shortest to longest) (note: page numbers taken from Goodreads):


This just reaches above my minimum limit of pages per book this year, and I'm really happy that it does. This book is well loved within both sci-fi fans and the LGBTQ+ community for a F/F romance that's supposed to be everything I ever wished for. It's been hyped by Cece on ProblemsOfABookNerd on YouTube, which makes me even more excited!

2
I don't know a ton about the plot for this one, and that is mostly intentional on my part. All I know is that it's somehow about the end of the world, and that each book in the series has won the Hugo Award. That's all I need to know! People love this series, and I'm ready to join that crowd.

3
34880234. sy475
"Kings of the Wyld" by Nicholas Eames (501 pages)
A book that I first heard about just recently, but I immediately loved the premise of it. It's basically about this group of old cranky men who used to be part of the same feared band of mercenaries in their youth. Now, they're getting back together for one last mission. I'm expecting this to be fun, fast paced, and lovable.

4
20764879
I read "A Darker Shade of Magic" in 2018 and liked it a fair bit. My intention then was to pick up the sequel sooner rather than later, but at this point I think we can call it later rather than sooner. Either way, I remember the plot quite clearly, and I think this continuation has potential to be even better than the first book in the trilogy.

5
Historical, adventurous, gay romance, YA literature? Yes, please! This has been on my shelves for a while, calling out my name, but also boasting with 500+ pages. Alas, I want to make sure I get to it in 2020! Wish me luck!

6
944073. sx318 sy475
"The Blade Itself" by Joe Abercrombie (515 pages)
Pitched as a gruesome, action filled, sort of funny story, I've been wanting to read this since I found it in a secondhand store. A friend of mine has read it and recommends it, and I think I'll have a good chance of enjoying it too! This is the first part in a trilogy, and though it has gotten mixed reviews, I think I'll like it as long as I go into it with the right expectations.


7
6547258
I've wanted to read this for so long, and it's been in my possession for ages. Sanderson is one of those authors that I want to really get into and read everything by. I have high hopes for this first book in the trilogy to send me into the Sanderson high fantasy spiral.

8
2913377. sy475
A book that I've had in my possession for several years, but which daunts me with its page count and small font. The risk of there never being a third instalment in the series hasn't really urged me on, either. However, it's a book that I've heard a lot of good about, especially its sequel, and I don't want to miss out on it.

9
21858453
A book I bought on a whim just recently, but which I have high hopes for. It's the start of a series of five(?) books, and they're all supposed to be very good. I'm expecting intense high fantasy in large doses.

10
932935411221285
"The Way of Kings" by Brandon Sanderson (592+530 pages)
With over 1100 pages, this is one of the biggest books that I own. However, it's also one that I have sky high expectations for, and I'm just so excited! I think this might have the potential to be one of my new favourite novels, and it's definitely a 5/5 stars prediction from me. I hope I have the courage to get into it this year, despite its intimidating page number.


That's all for now! Let me know what books you're anticipating to read in 2020. Do we share any books on that list? Have you read any of these? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment