Friday 20 September 2019

Book Reviews: Drömtjuvarna | Sovarna | Seraphina

18714816. sy475 Title: Drömtjuvarna
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Original title: The Dream Thieves

First published: 2013
Genre: Fantasy, YA
Series: The Raven Cycle #2
Publisher: B. Wahlströms
Format: Hardback
Pages: 376
Finished: 13/09/2019

Summary: Spoiler alert! Now that the ley lines around Cabeswater have been woken, nothing for Ronan, Gansey, Blue, and Adam will be the same. Ronan, for one, is falling more and more deeply into his dreams, and his dreams are intruding more and more into waking life. Meanwhile, some very sinister people are looking for some of the same pieces of the Cabeswater puzzle that Gansey is after…

My thoughts: Read for the September Raven Cycle readalong!
It’s been a minute since I read “Kresten” (the Swedish translation for “The Raven Boys”). In fact, it was six years ago. Honestly, what I remember from that book are vague plot points and generally positive feelings toward it. When the whispers of a Raven Cycle readalong in September this year, I finally saw my chance to gather some motivation and finish the series once and for all. One book for every week, during a four week period. Was I about to re-read the first book? No! I read up on reviews and summaries instead, and when the second week of September came rolling by, I picked up “Drömtjuvarna” (“The Dream Thieves”).

I settled into the characters and plot fairly quickly, despite being out of the universe for approximately half the life of an average raven. The entire cast is permanently gloomy and moody, though all in the proper manner of a Maggie Stiefvater series. I don’t think the lack of happy moments makes the story boring, so it’s really no problem. The atmosphere worked in harmony with Stiefvater’s everyday-beautiful writing style, making me feel super into the world and all that jazz. The plot is well structured and mysterious, but what has me hooked are the characters, without a doubt. What can I say? I’m a sucker for character driven stories and all that sweet character de-vel-op-ment!

Spoiler (highlight the following paragraph to read some very mild spoiler thoughts): My favourite characters from this book were Noah, Gansey, Mr Gray, and Ronan. I’m hoping for more character growth/depth to bless Noah in the upcoming books, because I think he deserves it and might be hiding some nice and juicy personality traits. Gansey is a sweetheart and Mr Gray is a cutiepie as well. Ronan was the absolute king of this book. He had all the time in the spotlight and he used it well! I also have a love for Blue, but I felt that she didn’t get much space in “The Dream Thieves”. She’ll probably be back with more glamour and snarkiness than ever before in the coming books, though! I’m uncertain about Adam; it seems to me that his character revolves around anger, pity, and self-centeredness, which I totally get, but it’s not conveyed in a way that successfully makes me feel any positive feelings towards him. Will that change? Maybe! I can definitely see it doing so!

All in all, this was a very solid second book to the series. I’ll be diving straight into the third book, and then into the fourth one later this month. Have you also participated in the readalong? Let me know! Which was your favourite book and character? Did you even find a favourite quote? I found a bunch, but was too lazy to mark them out, and now I’m suffering from my own past tardiness :’(


Rating: 4,25/5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

24715823. sy475 Title: Sovarna (The Sleeping)
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Original title: Blue Lily, Lily Blue

First published: 2014
Genre: Fantasy, YA
Series: The Raven Cycle #3
Publisher: B. Wahlströms
Format: Hardback
Pages: 310
Finished: 17/09/2019

Summary: Spoiler alert! Blue Sargent has found things. For the first time in her life, she has friends she can trust, a group to which she can belong. The Raven Boys have taken her in as one of their own. Their problems have become hers, and her problems have become theirs.  The trick with found things, though, is how easily they can be lost.

My thoughts: Another book in the series, and another success! I shan’t write too much, because I have rather little to say (as is unfortunately the case with certain books that I enjoy a lot). What I like about this series is mostly the characters. Yes, the plot is interesting, but it’s not what has me “hooked on the books”. No, the characters make this series what it is, in my eyes. With a wide set of perspectives, Maggie Stiefvater allows us readers to get really close to the whole cast. The good, the bad, and everything in between. This is also a key to thorough character development, since we know every character so well and can easily see when they change.
Spoiler alert (highlight the white text to read mild spoilers): “The Dream Thieves” remains as my favourite in the series so far; mostly because I’m partial towards Ronan. He’s probably my favourite character, and he played the bigger role in the second novel in the series. We don’t see his perspective as much in this third one, which I miss, but can understand. Other characters needed time in the spotlight. One of them was Adam, whom I was rather sceptical towards after reading “The Dream Thieves”. I now feel more sympathy for him, which is what I was hoping for. We also see more of Blue in this book, and I’m glad for that, because I enjoy her stubborn and proud personality a lot. Also, Greenmantle is fun! I was sad to see Jesse Dittley go so soon, though :'(

I’m looking forward to moving on to the fourth and final book in the series!

Rating: 4,25/5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

16074352Title: Seraphina
Author: Rachel Hartman
Original title: Seraphina

First published: 2012
Genre: Fantasy, YA
Series: Seraphina #1
Publisher: Corgi
Format: Paperback
Pages: 359
Finished: 19/09/2019

Summary: Four decades of peace have done little to ease the mistrust between humans and dragons in the kingdom of Goredd. Folding themselves into human shape, dragons attend court as ambassadors, and lend their rational, mathematical minds to universities as scholars and teachers. As the treaty's anniversary draws near, however, tensions are high. Seraphina Dombegh has reason to fear both sides. An unusually gifted musician, she joins the court just as a member of the royal family is murdered—in suspiciously draconian fashion. Seraphina is drawn into the investigation, partnering with the captain of the Queen's Guard, the dangerously perceptive Prince Lucian Kiggs. While they begin to uncover hints of a sinister plot to destroy the peace, Seraphina struggles to protect her own secret, the secret behind her musical gift, one so terrible that its discovery could mean her very life.

My thoughts: Another book this year that I’ll compare to the BBC “Merlin” series, simply because of the setting and fantasy elements. “Serpahina” is a high fantasy, medieval inspired, dragon murder mystery story, which in itself should totally sell the book to anyone who enjoys reading fantasy. The story starts off a bit slow, but it gains momentum once you’ve passed the 100 page mark. I wasn’t bothered by this, seeing as it’s common for high fantasy novels to need some extra pages for world building, and the author makes up for it with fun and interesting characters. My favourites were Seraphina, Orma, Kiggs, and Lars (but also the rest of them as well :p). I must say the book earned points by not including a love triangle; I think triangle drama is a worn out trope and it doesn't do much for me.
As the story moved on, I found a pleasant amount of “OH SHIT!” moments embedded in the plot, and at some points I had to stop reading for a bit because I was SHOCKED!!!! I found the world intriguing; I think the idea of dragons mingling with humans was very interesting, and it made way for some yummy high fantasy politics, which were, btw, not too hard to understand and easy to get involved in.
Something fun with this edition is that there’s an additional 50 pages or so after the book ends with author interviews, book club questions, a playlist for the book, a glossary, and a list of characters. Very charming!
Ps. I read this for the theme of September, which is to read a book with a name in the title :) I'm very happy with this theme, because otherwise I probably wouldn't have read this book for a good while.

Rating: 4,5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment