Sunday 28 July 2019

Book Reviews: Siddharta | The Copper Gauntlet | The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Image result for 9780141189574Title: Siddharta
Author: Hermann Hesse
Original title: Siddharta

First published: 1922
Genre: Classic, Philosophy
Series: --
Publisher: Penguin
Format: Paperback
Pages: 116
Finished: 26/07/2019

Summary: Siddhartha, a handsome Brahmin's son, is clever and well loved, yet increasingly dissatisfied with the life that is expected of him. Setting out on a spiritual journey to discover a higher state of being, his quest leads him through the temptations of luxury and wealth, the pleasures of sensual love, and the sinister threat of death-dealing snakes, until, eventually, he comes to a river. There a ferryman guides him towards his destiny, and to the ultimate meaning of existence.

My thoughts: My fifth read for "The Reading Rush" 2019! This one was read for the challenge "read a book with purple on the cover"; a challenge that proved difficult to fulfil! It seems that not many of my slimmer books have something purple on the cover, so I was lucky to discover that "Siddharta" delivered in my time of need ;)
Unfortunately, I didn’t find this book to be anything but boring. It is a work of philosophy, and it was easy to read and understand, but it offered me no new wisdom or view on life. Basically, it’s a repetition of “money can’t buy happiness” and a small bunch of other lifestyle ideals. The characters were boring, and I really didn’t care for Siddhartha going out into the world and finding himself and the right path of life. Overall, this book scores a low rating because it gave me nothing at all, without being inherently bad.

Rating: 2/5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

13612962
Title: The Copper Gauntlet
Author: Holly Black & Cassandra Clare
Original title: The Copper Gauntlet

First published: 2015
Genre: Middle-grade, Fantasy
Series: Magisterium #2
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Format: Hardback
Pages: 264
Finished: 27/07/2019

Summary: Spoiler alert! Callum Hunt’s summer break isn’t like other kids’. His closest companion is a Chaos-ridden wolf, Havoc. His father suspects him of being secretly evil. And, of course, most kids aren’t heading back to the magical world of the Magisterium in the fall. It’s not easy for Call . . . and it gets even harder after he checks out his basement and discovers that his dad might be trying to destroy both him and Havoc. Call escapes to the Magisterium -- but things only intensify there. The Alkahest -- a copper gauntlet capable of separating certain magicians from their magic -- has been stolen. And in their search to discover the culprit, Call and his friends Aaron and Tamara awaken the attention of some very dangerous foes -- and get closer to an even more dangerous truth.

My thoughts: Behold: my sixth read for the 2019 Reading Rush! This was read for the challenge "read a book you meant to read last year".
This series is still a lot like Harry Potter. The similarities are just too many to go unnoticed. However, seeing as I read and loved “Carry On” by Rainbow Rowell, which also shares a glaring amount of similarities with Harry Potter, I guess I cannot fault this series for doing the same. And honestly? It’s a very decent middle grade fantasy series. As far as these first two books go, I’m enjoying them a lot and as the world and story unfolds, I am compelled to read more and more. We follow a worried and cynical protagonist with a character depth that I like, and I’d say almost all the characters are well developed and described so far in the series. I’m also starting to see how much parts of the series are similar to Cassandra Clare’s other works, though I can’t say the same about Holly Black with certainty, since I’ve only ever read one book by her.
All in all, a solid, suspenseful, exciting read!

Rating: 4/5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
15950494Title: The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Author: Stephen Chbosky
Original title: 
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
First published: 1999
Genre: YA, Contemporary
Series: --
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Format: Paperback
Pages: 231
Finished: 28/07/2019

Summary: This is the story of what it's like to grow up in high school. More intimate than a diary, Charlie's letters are singular and unique, hilarious and devastating. We may not know where he lives. We may not know to whom he is writing. All we know is the world he shares. Caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it puts him on a strange course through uncharted territory. The world of first dates and mixed tapes, family dramas and new friends. The world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that the perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite.

My thoughts: My seventh and final read for the 2019 Reading Rush, thus completing the last two challenges on my list; "read a book with five or more words in the title" (this has 6) and "read seven books" WHICH I HAVE NOW DONE OMG. I am officially the best ever (for a minimum of 2 minutes).
This is a very special book. Did I cry? Yes. I don’t think I will say more than that.

Rating: 4,75/5

No comments:

Post a Comment