Tuesday 2 July 2019

Rating the Covers of My 33 First Reads of 2019

87557853294613384059
1) "City of Heavenly Fire" by Cassandra Clare
A solid cover design to finish the series; it fits
with the other books and looks very serious. For
the book that it is, I like this cover. I'll give it 7/10.

2) "The Outsiders" by S.E. Hinton
What a retro look! It really suits the story, and I
felt a bit old-fashioned when reading this. It took
me way back in time (I almost felt like I was
alive in the 60's!). Though I might not have jumped
at this cover without knowing that I like the book,
I still find it attractive! It's a 6/10.

3) "En olustig början" by Lemony Snicket
A cute little cover that fits with the whole other
series (13 books in total). Loving the style of the
illustrations throughout this whole story. 7/10.

31145179102003012802316. sy475
4) "Dream On" by Kerstin Gier
What a trilogy! I finished it this year and I can
say that I enjoyed it a lot. I also like this cover; it's
a chill and (to me) unique mix of sci-fi and YA, and
I think it fits the books very well. It gets 7/10 from me!

5) "Fruset blod" by Richelle Mead
The second novel of the "Vampire Academy" series,
and the first of the series that I read this year. I ended
up throwing myself into this series, however I've
never been a big fan of these Swedish covers. They're
all the same image over and over again, and though I
appreciate the bright colours, it's not enough to redeem
these. This gets 5/10 from me.

6) "Shadow Kiss" by Richelle Mead
I read this third "Vampire Academy" book in English, which
meant I had another cover for it. Do I like this better?
No. I'm not a big fan of this English cover series
(faces just aren't my cup of tea, typically). 4/10.

10221345Image result for giftet maria v snyderImage result for magin maria v snyder
7) "Löftet" by Richelle Mead
The same goes for this as for "Fruset blod". Nice
colour, but no thanks otherwise. 5/10.

8) "Giftet" by Maria V. Snyder
I've started liking these covers a little bit because I
LOVED this trilogy so incredibly much. However, the
lack of nose, and at all the presence of  the face in the
smoke, lowers this rating to 4/10. It's not the worst
cover of the bunch.

9) "Magin" by Maria V. Snyder
This is the worst cover of the bunch. Isn't the face sort of
frog-like? Because the nose is gone and the mouth and
eyes are just hovering. Either way, I don't like it (though
it would have been ok if only the smoke had been on
the cover). 3/10.

237346288181181Image result for yttersta offret richelle mead
10) "Carry On" by Rainbow Rowell
Colourful! It does stand out in my collection, with it's
pretty yellow spine. This one is a winner for me. 8/10.

11) "Spirit Bound" by Richelle Mead
Um... this isn't my cup of tea. Big faces, a weird
yellow shade, and an unattractive font. This missed
the mark. 3/10.

12) "Yttersta offret" by Richelle Mead
Creepy! This is a bit cooler than the other Swedish
covers in the series, because of the eyes. 6/10.

181093721581283418143977
13) "Elden" by Maria V. Snyder
The best cover in this trilogy! But I don't find it
much more appetising than "Giftet", so this, too,
lands on 4/10.

14) "Matilda" by Roald Dahl
A very cute cover! I like it a lot. 7/10.

15) "All the Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr
Wow! You should see this cover irl; it's shimmery!
I am in love with this cover, and I can't possibly give it
anything below a 9/10. Also, the spine is a pearl
in my shelf!

17835807Image result for chanslös gail carriger24001403
16) "Mor gifter sig" by Moa Martinson
My eyes do not like this cover. The whole composition
is clumsy; the colours of the texts that barely match
anything else on the cover, the combination of a stiff
illustration and a disappointing pale yellow base...
this is a disaster. 1/10.

17) "Chanslös" by Gail Carriger
The covers of this series are super creative and original!
This one is no exception, which I why I'll give it 8/10!

18) "Crach & Burn" by Abigail Roux
Another series that has tragically not been given
pretty covers. This comes across as a bit plain
and cheap. 3/10.

6937524693134435405266
19) "I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You" by Ally Carter
Simple, yet good! This cover manages to encompass
what the story is all about and at the same time look
classy and symmetrical. A photographic cover done
well! 7/10!

20) "The Near Witch" by Victoria Schwab
What a mysterious look! This cover is super pale,
but hides a figure in the fog. Though I'm not a big
fan of the whole face showing thing (it would've
been better with maybe a profile of a face?), I think
this cover stands out. It's not a total hit, but neither is it
a miss! Therefore, it's a 6/10.

21) "Så talade Zarathustra" by Friedrich Nietzsche
This cover is incredibly plain and boring. If
they'd kept working on the whole bird-and-snake
theme (which is relevant to parts of the story)
I think they could've achieved something more appealing,
but this just ain't it. 2/10.

22369418709463534290
22) "Red Queen" by Victoria Aveyard
Such a clean style, and I love it! Though this
wasn't a very pleasant read for me, I still find this cover
stunning in it's simplicity. 8/10.

23) "Death Most Definite" by Trent Jamieson
Well... I think this cover clashes with itself? We have
this model in a pose that appears to be almost worshipping,
a very orange cover (which I'm all for, btw), a tree and
some birds. I think it's the model that sinks this ship.
The pose and lighting is weird, and I think this part of the
cover could be replaced with something better. 4/10.

24) "The Magicians of Caprona" by Diana Wynne Jones
This is a bind-up edition of two books, of which
I've read one so far. I really like this cover! It's magical,
adventurous, and epic (in the way that "epic" meant
before it was ruined by children). This cover is a nice little
treasure in its own. 8/10.

13384082357959838475505
25) "Reptilrummet" by Lemony Snicket
I don't have a lot to say about this that I didn't already
say about "En olustig början" further up. 7/10.

26) "Just Dreaming" by Kerstin Gier
What I like most about this cover is the colour
scheme, but I also find the motive interesting. It's
one of those covers that's obviously photoshopped,
but likeable anyway! 6/10.

27) "Rebel Belle" by Rachel Hawkins
This composition is astounding! Again, simple but
pretty much perfect for what it is. This whole thing just
clicks together nicely, which is why it gets 8/10.

224656051718816138207768. sx318
28) "Miss Mayhem" by Rackel Hawkins
Not as good as "Rebel Belle". This becomes more
cluttered, and the title looks misplaced over the
golden figurine. However, I am glad that the
covers match. 6/10.

29) "Gul utanpå" by Patrik Lundberg
There's a clever connection between the title, the
story, and the cover here. "Gul utanpå" means
"yellow on the outside", which this book certainly is
in an objective sense. Other than that cleverness,
though, this cover is pretty boring. I can appreciate its
relevance, however. 4/10.

30) "Till alla killar jag har gillat" by Jenny Han
Very cute! This cover has a lot of detail, but because
most of it is in the same scale of colour, it doesn't
become cluttered. I love the style of this, so it gets 8/10.
I want to point out, though, that this is not typically a
type of cover that I'd give such a high score.

39863748. sx318 405173169673436
31) "PS. Jag gillar dig fortfarande" by Jenny Han
Same thing goes for this as the first cover in the
series, though maybe this doesn't hit as hard. 7/10.

32) "Nu och för alltid, Lara Jean" by Jenny Han
Very nice! And the covers stand together in harmony. 8/10.

33) "The Invention of Hugo Cabret" by Brian Selznick
The last cover of this bunch! I love this front. It
looks old and really fits the content of the book, and the
cover beneath the dust jacket is muchos pretty. However,
the spine doesn't match and front, and it looks kind of creepy...
therefore, this is a 7/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment